Saturday, August 8, 2009

Walking on the Dark Side

















This is what the parking lot at the entrance to the Chattahoochee walking/jogging trail looked like on Friday morning. It's dark AND early. But we didn't mind as my friend Beci  and I chatted, shared and laughed for a 6 mile power walk. I love getting up early and exercising with friends. When it's over, I feel so good, and I know the whole wonderful day lies waiting ahead. Indeed, I felt smug as I left the park at 8:30 that morning - as I pulled out of the parking lot I was assaulted with early morning traffic. Yes, I thought, I already have walked 6 miles this morning - how about you? 
(So much for my exercising early philosophy.) The reason I am writing this blog is the next picture. Both Beci and I have been trying to come up with a good recipe for power bars, so that we don't have to eat the sugar and preservative laden choices out there. She brought me a couple of bars to try from her recipe-in-progress. So far, Beci wins hands down. The "crumb"  shot is of the tiny piece I managed to get my husband to stop eating so I could take a picture. Oh well. Just know that they are good. So, here is Beci's recipe, inspired by a Whole Foods recipe. (And it's Gluten Free!)
Cranberry Orange Chocolate Power Bars
Natural Spray Oil for a 8" square pan
3 Cups Rolled Oats (Can use Gluten Free)
1/3 Cup Smooth Almond Butter
1 Cup Dried Cranberries (or dried cherries)
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
Zest of an Orange
1/3 Cup Honey
1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Salt
3 Egg Whites
2 TB Finely Ground Flaxseed
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray your pan with oil; set aside. Mix together oats, almond butter, cranberries, chocolate chips, orange juice, zest, honey, nutmeg, salt and egg whites in a bowl. Press firmly into the pan. Bake until golden brown around the edges about 35 minutes, sprinkle flaxseed over the top, let cool completely, cut into bars and serve. Makes approx 16 -20 bars.

No comments: