Friday, April 6, 2012

Lentil Trail Mix?


I love lentils - don't you? Imagine my surprise when I discovered that lentils can be roasted and included in a yummy trail mix. Browsing through the Food Hall at IACP, I stopped at the USA Dry Pea and Lentil Council's booth. (How's that for a catchy name:) They handed my a small cup full of trail mix, and to my surprise both lentils and dry split peas were part of the delicious snack. I couldn't wait to get home and share them with Dietician and friend Shayna Komar - and I have been playing with the basic recipe since then! Here's my latest and greatest take on the mix:

Lentil Trail Mix

4 oz Yellow Split Peas, 4 oz Green Split Peas, 4 oz Red or Brown Lentils OR 12 oz of any combination

4 oz Pumpkin Seeds OR Sunflower Seeds

4 oz Roasted Chopped Almonds

4 oz Golden Raisins

4 oz Chopped Dark Chocolate (at least 60%

Step One If using the split peas or BROWN lentils, soak them in water for 1 hour. Cook for 30 minutes and drain well. Roast for 10 minutes at 375F.

Step Two For red lentils, just soak the lentils in water for 1 hour. Drain well and roast for 15 – 20 minutes at 375F.

Step Three Combine the roasted peas and/or lentils with the remaining ingredients. If you used salted nuts or seeds, you are ready to serve. Unsalted nuts you just need to toss lightly with sea salt and serve.

*** Make sure to roast the lentils completely - until they are crunchy. And cool the mixture well before storing. If not, your mix will quickly become soft.



No comments: