Saturday, September 8, 2012

Hot and Steamy Race - Cool and Refreshing Salsa



What fun I had at the race to benefit Cancer Wellness in Fayette today! Over 250 walkers came out to brave the humidity and support a great cause. The picture you see above is the Cancer Wellness Chef and Wellness Team! Chef Nancy, Chef Beci, Dietician Taryn and I enjoyed providing participants with healthy foods and recipes.

And speaking of recipes – here’s the one that I share today. My recipe card was all about the yummy lentil burgers I’ve made at Cancer Wellness, (they are on the Friday Four as well!) So I decided to whip up this salsa as a good topper for the burgers. I served it with tortilla chips at the race, but it’s also super with grilled salmon or chicken. In fact sometimes I just slather a little hummus on a flatbread, put a scoop of this salsa on it – and roll it up to enjoy!

Pineapple Tomato Salsa

2 Cups Chopped Fresh Pineapple
1 Cup Chopped Grape Tomatoes

¼  Cup Chopped Red Onion

¼ Cup Chopped Red Bell Pepper
Juice and Zest of 1 Lime

1 JalapeƱo, Chopped with Seeds and Ribs removed

1/2 Tsp Sea Salt

2 TB Honey Ginger Vinegar*
1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro
Create the salsa by whisking the ingredients together in a large bowl.

* I used F. Olivers Honeyed Ginger Vinegar in my salsa for the race. You can find it on line here: http://www.folivers.com
If you can't wait to make your salsa - here's how to make a version of honey ginger vinegar:
1 Cup Rice Vinegar
1 TB Grated Fresh Ginger
2 TB Honey
Shake the ingredients together in a jar. Place in your fridge for a couple of days to allow the flavors to blend. Use whenever you’d like a delicious ginger honey taste to a salad dressing or salsa.

No comments: