Monday, January 28, 2013

Luscious, Meatless, Fun



Sweet Potato Burgers with Apple Slaw

Sigh. Passion for cooking and eating better can get me in trouble. Information about audiences, locations and logistics can squeak by me when enthusiasm takes hold. So, when I said, “Yes, I’d love to speak at your meeting” to the young women requesting a healthy cooking demo, I didn’t pick up all the details.

The demo was scheduled for the temple. My audience was a Jewish women’s group in suburban Atlanta. “No problem”, I thought to myself, “I’ve got it”. “Bacon or pork, even shellfish - not a challenge for me.”

One of the details I had missed? The temple was kosher. Kosher means two kitchens. Two sets of pots and pans. No co-mingling of dairy and meat. No outside utensils. I can’t even bring in my own knives.

Over the next couple of months, organizer Stacey was patient with me as she explained the rules and regulations of cooking in the temple. Again.

We finally decided on a menu of Sweet Potatoes and Apples. Each dish would be packed with the nutrition and deliciousness of root veggies and sweet apples. You don’t have to explain the story to your family, just enjoy the burgers and slaw. Make ‘em on the weekend, serve during the week. Freeze the leftovers or take them for lunch!

Sweet Potato Burgers

2 ½ Cups Mashed Cooked Sweet Potatoes
¼  Cup Toasted Chopped Almonds
¼  Cup Sunflower Seeds
½ Cup Chopped Cashews
½ Cup of Cooked Quinoa
¾ Cup Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs
1 TB Olive Oil
1 Large Egg
1 TB Dark Sesame Oil
2 Garlic Cloves Grated
1 TB Soy Sauce
½ Tsp Sea Salt and ¼ Tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
1 Cup Sesame Seeds

Combine all the ingredients together, except for the sesame seeds. Form into patties and coat with sesame seeds. Grill or Broil the burgers until brown and a little crispy on the edges. Serve on grilled buns with *Sriracha Mayonnaise and topped with Apple Slaw.

*Sriracha Mayonnaise is made by whisking together Sriracha and low-fat olive oil mayonnaise. Add as much of the hot stuff that you can stand! I start with 1 TB in ½ Cup of mayo.

Apple Slaw
1 Cup Shredded Carrots
1 Cup Shredded Green Apple
1 Cup Shredded Red Cabbage
¼ Thinly Sliced Green Onion
1 TB Chopped Fresh Cilantro
¼ Cup Asian Chili Sauce (Nam Ploy)
1 ½ TB Rice Vinegar
1 TB Lime Juice
1 Tsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Dark Sesame Oil

Step One In a large bowl. toss  the carrots, radish, cabbage, green onion and cilantro together.

Step Two In a small bowl or jar add the chili sauce, vinegar, lime juice, soy  and oil together. Toss with the slaw and set aside for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend.

No comments: