Monday, May 13, 2013

Meatless, Luscious, Fun: Mediterranean Oranges

Errghh. Have I mentioned I have a sinus infection? If I haven't mentioned it to you, it's a miracle. (My husband Mike says that if I don't stop moaning and whining about it, he is going to put me out of my misery:)   I feel like it is running my life, pulling me into the bed when I need to get work done and generally making me feel miserable. I am blessed with an extraordinary "constitution" and so when I don't feel good for almost 4 weeks...not fun. I know that I will find the exact drugs at SOME point.

So, to the point of my (tiny) whining interlude. I am going to an informal Rhone wine class tonight and I need to take something to share with me. Normally, I would be scheming up a dish redolent with braised veggies and chicken, cooking it slowly with a little red Cotes du Rhone, basting it again and again with its juices. But not today. Today, I am doing great to get the blog done, format recipes for the rest of the week and catch up with invoices. The only thing that sounds good and achievable  to me is this super simple recipe for juicy oranges, sweet dates and a touch of cinnamon. I love it for breakfast, dessert, salad and a portable snack. Make a lot. It keeps in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. The easily made sauce just keeps soaking into the fruit - getting better and better. Which is my motto for the week too!


Mediterranean Oranges

8 Large Navel Oranges, Sliced into Thin Rounds
8 Large Dates, Pitted and Chopped
1⁄4 Cup Nuts, Toasted and Chopped
3 TB Honey
+ 3 TB Pomegranate Molasses (or to Taste)

1⁄2 Tsp Cinnamon
Chopped Mint


Place Orange Slices on a Large Platter, overlapping. Top with the dates and almonds. Whisk together the honey, pomegranate molasses and cinnamon and drizzle over the platter Top with the chopped mint.

No comments: