Friday, June 27, 2014

Avocados All Around! A Guest Post by Haley Warren, Taste and Savor Intern

Hi! I'm Haley Warren, the lucky new intern with Taste and Savor. I'm a graduate of the University of Georgia, doing my internship through Iowa State University. I'm on my community rotation right now, and will be moving over to Piedmont Hospital in a bit, to start a clinical internship. 

Over the past week, interning with Chef Nancy has been incredible! I have gotten to witness some amazing classes with her, but one class I would have to say was my favorite. We went to the Thomas F Chapman Family Cancer Wellness Center at Piedmont Hospital in Henry County to spread some herb lovin’. Chef Nancy and Sous Chef Lea created an incredible menu of summer dishes - all made with herbs and spices. 


My favorite was the  Avocado Salad. Instead of avocados in the salad itself,  it was a mix of greens, an array of chopped herbs, lettuce and grape tomatoes. Avocado was used to  make the dressing flavorful, cool and creamy without a lot of extra oil.


Avocado Salad Dressing


2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
1 Large Avocado
2 Tsp Lime Juice
1/2 Cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1/4 Cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 Tsp Fine Sea Salt

Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree it.

That's it - super easy and delicious. 

Another interesting Avocado tip I learned this week was all about Guacamole. Substitute 1/4 part of Frozen Green Peas to 3/4 Part of Mashed Avocado in  your favorite recipe. No one will be able to tell the difference - and you are getting lots of good nutrition from the bright green peas, without all the fat from the avocados. Yum. 

I'm looking forward to next week and all the adventures we are going to have in the Healthy Kitchen!

No comments: